Monday, August 15, 2005

Old Brick Wall with Door

Old-Wall-With-Door
NE Portland, on NE Knott, between Williams and Rodney
August 5, 2003, 1:22 PM
f/3.2, 1/250 sec, 65mm equiv focal length
[ -= prev + next =- ]

This is an old Portland General Electric building, across the street from Dishman pool and community center. There is still a big power station on the property, but I don't think the building is used anymore.

The truth is, I had other plans for this pic -- it was intended to be one quarter of a bigger wall scene, I was going to knit together with a series of four pics. But when I got them home, I didn't like the way it was turning out. I ended up liking this one by itself.

3 comments:

HutchDeluxe said...

To be OCD about the image size experimentation, while tabbed browsing at 1024x768, I had to use small icons with no text in my toolbar, hide the bookmarks bar, and maximize the window, to just barely squeeze the whole height of the image in. Kinda too big I think. How tall are other photoblog pics with one per page? I haven't looked much...

Anonymous said...

Here's an example from "Daily Dose Of Imagery," one standard of the industry:
http://wvs.topleftpixel.com/archives/photos_landscape/050816_1271.shtml
I love his images, but I hate having to scroll top-to-bottom to see the pic. It makes me wonder: does he think we should 'apreciate' his images in two halves? or should we all have 24-inch monitors?

HutchDeluxe said...

Hmm, yeah, that's frustrating. It may be that the artist thinks they'd lose more by making the image smaller than by making people scroll. Although the horizontal images are the same width, so it seems that is the chosen priority, to fill the browser width consistently, for good or ill. Not only that, but the verticals end up being higher-res than the horizontals, rather than the same or lower.

I think you have the right idea, to make them as large as is reasonable for most people, without having to scroll. The link to Flickr gives the option of viewing them larger if your screen can display it.