Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Kids at the Church Door


Kids at the Church Door, originally uploaded by Whateverthing.

Grace Bible Church, Downtown Portland, Oregon
with my Minolta Hi-Matic 7SII rangefinder ~

I took this from the driver's seat of my car.

I saw this scene as I drove past in rush-hour traffic, but I wasn't fast enough with my camera. So in typical rush-hour crawl I circled the block, actually a two-block area because of one-way streets, and pulled up to the curb and shot this out my side window.

you might like it large

2 comments:

Bruce Robbins said...

Hi Karl,

I thought I'd say "Hi" after coming across your blog whilst looking for some info on the Vivitar high, wide and mighty, or whatever it's called (slim, wide and?-I can never remember). I picked one up on Ebay and am about to start using it.
I have a blog, too, at:
http://pentaxk10dblog.blogspot.com/
and know what it's like when you've been working away posting stuff without much in the way of feedback. Hence the post.
I really enjoyed looking at your pics and wanted to say that you seem to have hit the sweet spot with your Minolta rangefinder. I have an older Minolta Hi-Matic 9, which is a bit like yours but on steroids, and I'll probably be inspired now to get it out and run a film through it.
Anyway, keep up the good work. I'm from Carnoustie in Scotland and knew nothing about Portland-but I know a little more now!

Regards,
Bruce

Karl said...

Thank you Bruce! I do appreciate hearing from visitors. Sometimes, cyberspace can be cold and lonely. I'll spend some more time visiting your blog as well, hopefully getting acquainted with your bit of Scotland.

I like your name for it, the "High and Mighty." It's really more like the "Low and Cheap-o" Vivitar. But it can be a lot of fun, if you can find the right way to show the subject. The advice I'd give is to really fill your frame, and then some, because the Viv-UW&S viewfinder is conservative. You get even more on the film than you see in the window.